Saturday, April 9, 2011

4/9/11 That was different...



I have always wanted to run down to the BTT ride, do the ride and ride home. "Why?" you ask. Who knows? But today was the day this thought became action. Got up at 3:55AM, threw down some fluids and headed out the door at 4:00AM. Certainly is dark at that hour, the stars looked beautiful on Hines Drive. As I got closer to the Ford truck plant in Dearborn, I felt even more like an ant than I do when riding my bike through the industrial complex. By the time I hit the Iron Coffins Motorcycle Club at Dearborn and Fort Street, I realized I was ahead of schedule. I got to the Fort's gate and my Garmin showed 13.3 miles. Well since it was cold and I had time, I put in a few extra miles to take the total up to 16 miles and stayed warm. Felt good at an 8min/mile average pace.

Once I was done with running I hit the Fort's parking lot to find AndyS was there with my bike and gear. I put on cycling shorts and a heavier base layer. Should have brought another layer but the weatherman said it was going to warm up. Well it never did warm up. Regardless the ride went off without any major issues. Good group pushing a good pace through the D. Great to see the BTT gang after a rough winter.

Hit Los Galanes for some breakfast with the gang. Once we were done with breakfast I went back to the Fort. BrianB mentioned he had an extra team jersey I could try on and buy if interested. Well timing is everything, I took the jersey off his hands right there. Wore it home and was happy to have it, nice and warm! 45 miles on the bike. Solid morning :)

I would like to thank AndyS for hauling my gear down there, BrianB for selling me the team jersey, Mother Nature for keeping the westward winds down, and the great company on the ride. One request - Mother Nature kick the temp up a few degrees next time please? Don't know if I will ever do this again but at least I did it once. Cool urban adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Jim, you take the Beatthetrain concept to your own level. Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete