Saturday, April 2, 2011

4/2/11 Spring is coming...



To celebrate the arrival of Spring I ran the Martian half-marathon and set out with a goal of finishing it in under 90 minutes. My personal best is a 89 minute effort. I thought I had a chance of going a bit faster as I had a secret weapon, cycling teammate and running stud Lee "Lefty" Shaw.

I gave it all I had and made my goal with a finish time of 89mins 18secs. BUT I was a bit disappointed when I crossed the line. I thought I was faster - nothing was left in the tank at the end. Then some other runners mentioned the course was a bit long, at 13.5 miles. Well I checked my Garmin and noticed that was the mileage as well. That made me feel better but as race director, you HAVE to get that right. That's a big reason why I'm paying you to participate in the event. Other than that oversight the race was well run. Special thanks to Lefty - couldn't have done it without you bud! Owe ya a beer next time we're out.

As for my bike - I took it on its second ride of the season to cool down. 2 hrs 11mins at 28.4miles through Detroit via Rouge Park. I will point out the new bling on the bike.
New:
*Avid CR hydraulic brakes
*WTB seat
*Titanium handlebars from Moots. Word on the street is they are the "must have" riding accessory when hitting the streets of Detroit this season ;)

I would like to thank "J&M Cycles" in Livonia for their help in getting the bike back up after last seasons crash. Their friendly staff are knowledgeable and they know how to make you feel right at home.

3 comments:

  1. Way to go J! Under 90 is FLYING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Official race distance is 13.4 miles. They are supposed to be figuring out the 13.1 time, but dont hold your breath. Good job Jim.
    Ugliest cheerleader in town
    Lee (lefty, heart attack, bleeding junk, meningitis, broken shoulder) Shaw

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.users.on.net/~klima/rkcalc_hmi.htm
    6:40 miles for 13.1 miles is 1:27:20

    ReplyDelete