Thursday, April 21, 2011

4/21/11 Maybury Laps


First ride in the dirt for 2011, first ride with my hydraulic brakes, first ride with titanium handlebars, first ride post crash.

Oct 30th, 2010 Jamal and I rode together and I crashed out at Poto leading to broken clavicle. April 21st, 2011 Jamal and I head out to try riding together again at Maybury. Lap one went by quickly and was pretty uneventful aside from my ugly lines. Lap two was going by quite nicely until we hit a little jump about 4 miles in. I hear Jamal yell something that begins with the letter "B". I think maybe I lost my water bottle after the jump, I look down and its still there. So I stop and turn around. Me, "What?" Jamal, "I broke my bars!" Sure enough, Jamal broke his handlebar. His brand new, carbon fiber FSA handlebar that he states he torqued down to specifications with a torque wrench. Luckily he was able to stop it without any issues.

Like a trooper, Jamal gets back on the saddle. "They ride bulls with only one hand" he says. True but that ergonomically SUCKS! Dude rode that bike the next couple of miles fast, maybe because he only had one brake. Despite the mechanical a good ride. Great to get some trail miles in FINALLY! I really like my titanium handlebar - I recommend one to Jamal.

Lap 1 = 32:07
Lap 2 = 32:44 (paused for the "holy crap you broke your bar" discussion)

Crash could have ended like this:

1 comment: