Sunday, May 1, 2011

4/30/11 Thunderdrome in Detroit


My buddy AndyE and I went down to the ol' velodrome in Detroit for some racing Saturday afternoon. This event could only be held in the city of Detroit. It borders on anarchy. They race all kinds of things 2-wheeled: mopeds, pocket-rockets, scooters, electric scooters, fixies, geared road bikes, and of course mountain bikes. Hell, they even had three go-karts have at it.

The people that show up are well worth the price of admission (which is free). Outlaw biker types, hipsters, and a bunch of other interesting types thrown in for good measure. Some of the races were really competitive and entertaining to watch. The motorized bikes are REALLY fast around the oval.

The mountain bike race was three laps around the velodrome with two of the laps extended around the park on the wet soggy grass. And a nice climb on the soggy grass. During practice I concluded the singlespeed is good for a max of about 18-20 mph on the velodrome. The grass climb was going to hurt as I am geared 36X17 which is pretty stout.

The race began and we were off around the velodrome (graffiti ON the velodrome which I thought was a nice touch) and exited on the top of the fourth turn. Up the wet grassy hill the singlespeed was taking no prisoners, I shot by people trying to gear down while I stood up and hammered. The top of the hill rewarded us with some Detroit downhill action. Roots, ravine from water erosion, and of course some broken glass. Another smaller grassy climb and a flat section back to the velodrome. After starting dead last I was top 5 after lap one. I passed two more people on the velodrome and sat on second place's wheel. I needed a breather before the final attack on the grassy hill. And then it came, the grassy hill. Feeling horrible I stood up and hit it. Second place was mine and first place rider was falling apart. I almost had him reeled in, 10 feet or so by the top. I busted my hump to try and get him before the velodrome. As we approached the velodrome I passed an outlaw biker looking spectator who yells at me, "Get that f^*kin guy! Get it!" Aggressive cheer leading, added bonus to this event. Sadly when we hit the velodrome I was not able to close the gap. I got second. Certainly not bad. If I had one more lap, I could have cracked that guy on the climb and took first. Sept 10th is the next one. Worth checking out if you have never been. In a word - unique.

AndyE took home fourth in a highly competitive fixed gear class.

Thunderdrome Pics

No comments:

Post a Comment