Sunday, October 24, 2010

Detroit Racing back to back weekends



Well after a great summer of sun and fun - the past 2 weekends have seen the pinnacle of racing in the D. On October 17th I ran the Detroit Marathon and helped pace a friend to a Boston Marathon qualifying effort on her first marathon. We enjoyed stellar weather, the best conditions I have ever had for a marathon. That was a special day and I was glad to be able to play a small part in her big day.

So how does one recover from a marathon? In my world, you grab your singlespeed mountain bike and clip in for the Mad Anthony Cyclocross mountain bike race. This is one of only two bikes races in the city of Detroit. I did this event last year and had a blast.

So after the BTT ride throught the streets of Detroit, I sweet-talked JimmyH into racing. Teammates PaulM and JohnG joined in the fun. Jimmy, John, and I started dead last in the field. After avoiding 3 crashes within the first quarter mile, we found our groove. At the start of the second lap I came upon PaulM, Paul beat me at this race last year and I expected him to do it again this year. So when I passed him I figured I would be a good rabbit for him to chase as he was going far too slow for his ability at that point in the race.

And chase he did, we had an uneventful second lap. The third lap and final lap went well but my muscles were starting to protest a bit on the hills. There was a loose, steep section at the end of the course and I struggled to make it up laps 1 and 2. Lap 3 I came up a pedal stroke short and stopped. Paul crashed into the back of my bike as he thought I would make it - surprise ;) No big problems for either of us, Paul managed to remount his bike before me and brought home 14th while I took 15th 7 seconds later. The 24th slot belonged to JohnG while Jimmy took the 26th. The field had 65 finishers and 81 riders to start the day. Quite a few DNF's

This year the course was improved upon as it was made a bit longer with the use of the soccer fields which helped stretch the riders out. It made for a better race as the course was less congested. Joe did a splendid job with the event, I think this race has a bright future. It evolved nicely from last year's successful production.

Thanks to Dearborn Don for taking pics, AndyS for helping Joe with the event, and Joe for getting the event together. It was also great to see DonM out there helping at the event. After suffering a heart attack, he survived a bout with cancer. He just got clearance to ride again, just in time for snow. Seeing Don again reminds me every day is a blessing. Glad I was able to enjoy these two great weekends in the D and to my friends, ya'll rock!

Mad Anthony Pics

2 comments:

  1. Ok now it's youe turn GO FIX YOUR SHOULDER!
    get well soon please

    DonM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're in fantastic shape! Good job. Thanks for the comment on my blog several months ago. I DO remember running into you near Torrey Pines State Park a while back. Small world, eh?

    ReplyDelete