Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ore to Shore 2011

A great weekend of mountain biking. 4 days, 4 rides and ~120 trail miles later I left town happy. The race course was almost a carbon copy of last year but substantially dustier. All racers were caked in red dirt by the end. One big difference from last years course was a paved climb. It was shortened quite a bit. If I had known of this modification I would have geared the ol' singlespeed up with an extra couple of teeth up front. This race saw something happen to me in the results that I have never experienced. Last year I came in 15th place with a time of 3 hrs 21mins. This year I took my time down to 3 hrs 12mins and came in 23rd. Hmm. I guess the singlespeed crowd is becoming a more competitive group or eveyone knew of this course modification except me. Still I was happy with my effort and got below my goal time of 3hrs 15mins.

AndyE and family pulled off the most impressive group effort of the weekend. Andy did the Hardrock 48 miler, Carmen did the Softrock 28 miler, Ava did the 4 miler, and drew knocked out the 1 miler. Outstanding riding by the whole family! AndyS enjoyed his first O2S event, Jimmie and Melissa had great races, and Jamal was hot on my heels being only 2 mins behind me.

My second trip to the UP of Michigan was successful and a great time. Beautiful country and the town of Marquette does a great job putting this event together. The "South Trails" in town are well worth riding should you make the venture up there for this race. They are tight, twisty, a lot of fun and are not included in the Ore to Shore event.
Pics click here



Garmin Race Result

No comments:

Post a Comment