Sunday, August 22, 2010

Woodward Dream Crusie Run 8-21-10

Question: Who is crazier, someone catching a bus in Birmingham at 5:40AM and taking it down to Hart Plaza or the Dream Cruise fan setting up their chairs at 5:40AM? I pondered this question yesterday.

Well this week I traded in the bike for running shoes. The last time I rode public transportation in southeast MI was for this exact run but during the winter a couple of years ago.

What a great start to the Dream Cruise weekend. And the bus was pretty much all runners. The traditional photo op for this run in front of the Spirit of Detroit was a no-go this morning, they had the lights turned off. Cost reduction I suppose. So we hopped up onto the "Joe Lois Fist" and had a group shot taken. A bit blurry but you get the idea, a big group of runners training for fall marathons about to head north on Woodward.


And so the miles clicked by, it was nice they had some sections of Woodward torn up in Detroit that made for a cushier running surface. But man was it hot. I burned through my water bottle quickly, stopped by a gas station and bought a couple sportsdrinks. One for backup, one for now. Once we ran up the hill coming out from underneath the 696 overpass the Dream Cruise kicked into full effect. Cool cars everywhere.

When we hit 13 and Woodward, I knew this run was gonna leave a mark. I had a cramp in my right ARM?? Yep, early dehydration symptom. So I slugged down more water and continued on. The group weaved through the many pedestrians - one gentleman said, "Classic runners this way" which made me smile as we trotted down Woodward. When we finally hit the downtown B-ham Starbucks I stopped and walked a few. Definitely feeling the heat. After a couple of blocks I sucked it up and ran back to my car which was parked just over a mile away. 19.5 miles on the Garmin for the day. Where's the water!

Later that day I came back to enjoy the Dream Cruise at a more relaxed pace. There are some amazing vehicles present, some interesting people and even Iggy Pop:



I found this YouTube post comical:

1 comment:

  1. You forgot the nice tour of the abandoned church grounds

    Great run and thank you for keeping me company.

    "He's calling for water" has taken on new meaning . . .

    ReplyDelete